Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keioc/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keioc/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keioc/www/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Keeping Everton in Our City • View topic - Brian Reade in the Mirror on Kirkby

Keeping Everton in Our City

KEIOC Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brian Reade in the Mirror on Kirkby
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 34691.html

Quote:
Why Everton dodged a bullet over Kirkby stadium, and some advice for Tottenham fans and Phil Brown

By Brian Reade

If I were an Evertonian I'd be raising a glass to the government for killing the ill-thought out move to Kirkby.

Did you really want to traipse to a cheap, characterless, sub-Reebok standard ground bolted onto a Tesco superstore nine miles from the city centre, with atrocious transport links and Kopite taunts about "the city's all ours" ringing in your ears?

I don't believe the majority of you did. I do believe you were forced into believing this was "the deal of the century" by a skint board desperate to use Evertonian Terry Leahy's pull at Tesco to bankroll a new stadium - ANY new stadium - which would seduce outside investors to take the club off their hands. Had it gone ahead it would have been divisive at best and calamitous at worst.

The real shame here is that Destination Kirkby was billed as Everton's only future option with no back-up plan worthy of consideration.

Fans hired architects to show how Goodison could be re-developed into a profitable, modern stadium, but the board consistenly rubbished their efforts.

When the Tesco plan was first mooted, after the Kings Dock scheme collapsed, one fan observed: "They promised us a penthouse on the waterfront - now it's a council flat in Kirkby."

Evertonians now deserve to know where their home is. And fast.

Post subject: Re: Brian Reade in the Mirror on Kirkby
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05 pm 

A good piece..................................shame he didn't think of writing it a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

in fairness he did pen a piece a while ago that was critical of the Kirkby proposal, which was more than the Echo/Post ever did

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm 

I suppose If I'm being fair, I'd concede he's definitely not the worst.

I'll also credit him with not (like so many others) unthinkingly just falling in behind BK's bollocks.

However he's hardly Paul Foot or John Pilger either.

There was a chance for at least one journo-football writer to REALLY follow this story.

From what I saw (or rather didn't!) there wasn't even one.

The problems with the initial vote were glossed over or just ignored.

The facts?

A 'deaf'un' was cocked across the journalistic board

It seemed to me there was nothing - absolutely nothing - in ANY paper, from ANY Journo, that consistently reported the FACTS.

Some might say "Ah but what WERE the facts?"

Well basically, all the stuff that came out at the inquiry.

I suppose you could legitimately say that before the inquiry, much of the talk about DK was 'opinion'

Once the inquiry started however, we started to learn the facts.

And apart from a few SELECTIVE bits in The Liverpool...Pravda, the press ignored 99% pf them.

I read the Mirror and The Guardian every Saturday and the Observer every Sunday and saw nothing in any of them that made me think "Wow, this is a journalist who is REALLY doing something different/brave/honest"

I accept the (remote) possibility that someone working for another publication might have.

Oh and if I'm asking for honesty (and I've admitted this to few people) I should come clean myself.

I also read the NOTW.

BUT ONLY FOR THE.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Agree completely with the lack of investigative efforts on the media's part right from the start of the proposal, just pointing out that he (Reade) did write a critical piece beforehand and Andy hunter in the Guardian wrote a number of pieces that did question some aspects of the proposal. If you were stretching the critical eye further though you could go further and ask why no journalist ever does a critique of the board's failings over the last 10 years instead of gushing praise for Kenwright all the time, for one other subject. There may well be fans of other clubs who ask exactly the same questions of local and national media, perhaps there's now a fear factor in that if any of them got too critical of say Everton and Kenwright then they may lose out on exclusives or interviews with players/staff in the future due to the critical slant of their articles, there's an example made of Prentice the other year after he criticised Cahill in the Echo and found himself feeding off scraps ever since. Not forgetting either we have a former Guardian employee as a PR man who's well placed to encourage positive press and glossing over of the facts in the media.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 am 

Someone needs to investigate to see if those 10.000 people who bought brand new bikes to get to Kirkby will get a refund. How that was never used by any journo is beyond me.

Anyway, just got a bid on e-bay, some bloke called Keith :wink: .

I'll let you know how much I got.